11/8/12

A Survivor's Story

A Reader of this blog sent me her story for all to read:-
In August 2003 during my yearly routine mammogram, a mass was discovered in my left breast. A biopsy was performed and the results - ductal carcinoma insitu (breast cancer - stage zero).  In Sept. I had a lumpectomy with 33 radiation treatments and 5 years of prescription Tamoxfin. I was good to go, or so I thought.  Eight years later the cancer returned with a vengeance, this time in my right breast at stage 1. With two diagnosis after age 40 and my premenopausal age, I was a good candidate for BRACA testing. The BRACA test was positive for BRACA 2, meaning it was very likely that I would have a re-occurrence of cancer. There was also a chance that I would eventuallly develop ovarian cancer as well. I had to make a decision, take my chances that it may come back, or remove the entire breast. With my husband's support I chose to have a bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction. I opted to have the TUG flap. They could not use my abdomen due to an appendicitis scar, so they removed the muscle from my upper inner thigh for the reconstruction.  Nearly a year has passed and I will now go into the final phase of the reconstruction. Knowing that my chances of developing ovarian cancer was imminent I had a salpingo-oopherectomy (removal of my fallopian tubes & ovaries) on Oct. 16, 2012. The procedure was done laproscopically and I was able to return to work within a week. On my two week follow-up exam my doctor advised me that I am Now cancer Free. In all sincerity, if it had not been for my faith in God, the love of my family, the support of my church and all the people that I work with, I could not have made it through this. It was a very difficult moment in my life, but I am still here to tell all women, how important mammograms and annual visits to the doctor is to us all. Prevention is the Key.
Survivor, D.R Johnson - 11/1/12.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Sharing your thoughts. . . I look forward to them!