9/28/13

Does Size Matter?

If you are talking about the number (#) on your Clothes and Shoes it does NOT. Only the FIT matters. Only you see the Size and everyone see the Fit. I wear different sizes in clothing and 4 different sizes in shoes. All are based on the designer and/or manufacturer. I have in my closet right now, sizes: Large, 14, 16, 18, XL, 14W, 16W, OX, and 1X clothing and shoes in sizes 7.5, 8, 8.5 and 9.  Can I shop by size (#) only?  Hell No. Why are sizes so different? 

They call it Vanity Sizing - in which measurements run larger than standard.  Jo Kallal, professor of Fashion and Apparel studies at University of Delaware, says " the move by companies toward vanity sizes plays entirely on psychology and is aimed at making the cash register ring and Women like to fit into smaller sizes.” I remember my Aunt Flo telling us girls that we should purchase our clothes from an exclusive store that carry better brands for a better fit. I find that some of this is true when looking at certain designers like Lauren, M Kors and Jones NY. I can wear a straight size 16 pants and a 14 or XL Top in these brands, but if I want a dress. . . no can do. I have to cross over to the plus size and there I can choose from 0X or 1X depending on the design.

This is because of Fit Differences -  designers establish their own in-house specifications per size, which is often based on the overall look of the collection. The fit specifications approved by each different designer prior to production and construction used different waist, crotch depth and length as well as inseam measurements. All that makes for a disappointment if you are shopping only in a specialty store or online and you wear varied sizes. My preference is shopping in a store where I can take an armload of garments to a generous size fitting room, so that I can try-on and scrutinize before I buy. Sometimes I get a good laugh from the mirror there & welcome other patrons to join in on the humor. I shop in Juniors, Women's and Plus departments, because I do not give two shits about the number on the tag. If I Like it & it's on the clearance rack, its mine.

Not everyone shops like me and they are missing out on some good deals. My shopping buddy will not shop on a rack that is higher than the size she perceives to be her desired size. Therefore, she will not try on an article of clothing that is not a straight 14 and she misses out on a 14W. Granted, not all designs are available in straight & plus size, and not every store carry the same merchandise but if you do not check you will not know. Of course, she is disgusted because she cannot find anything to wear and I am walking out with one. I always tell her if the number on the garment is the problem, "take your scissors and cut it off when you get home and forget it", who is going to know? 

This is the first installment to my "Size Doesn't Matter, Fit Does" series and I plan on showing articles of clothing from my one-size-does-not-fit-all closet. I encourage you to venture out of your comfort zone and try on an article of clothing you would otherwise not purchase. And if it fits, get it. After all, Size Does NOT matter and you are Happy.                      {Source}
post signature
Follow this Series with Bloglovin.
Linked up [Parties]

19 comments:

  1. Great post!! I had to learn this when I gained weight and crossed over from straight to plus size. Only the fit matters...no one sees the labels but you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are quite right, though wouldn't shopping just be so much easier if sizes were standardized? I would love it if I were a six and always six, instead I've got every number in my closet from 0 to 12...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I thought I was the only one. Thanks for your comments.

      Delete
  3. Me too would love it when sizes were standardized. I too have different sizes in my closet. Same goes for shoes. Different brands, different size, and sometimes even the same brand has different sizes.
    Many thx for your great post My Kurves.

    have a lovely day
    Lenya

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my opinion, size does not matter! Fit is the key. If I feel uncomfortable with the size on the label, I cut it off! The sizing system dates back to the 30s and it's overdue for an update.
    -
    InMyJoi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the tag is itchy so cut it off.

      Delete
  5. That was really interesting about how sizing works with different designers. There has definitely been a shift to vanity sizing in the last 5-10 years b/c I have pants from the SAME store in two very different sizes and they both fit. The difference? The larger pair was bought a decade ago when I was in college and the smaller size was bought after they started introducing the "size" 0. It's all such a crazy game! Thanks for shedding some light on the topic.
    Visiting from SITS today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wouldn't it be great if sizing was all the same and we could just grab it and go, knowing it would fit? I'm with you, who cares what size it is as long as it fits well and is flattering. Have a great SITS day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stopping over from your SITS Day. Great perspective about nobody sees the size, only the fit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The inconsistency between and within brands drives me crazy, it's so arbitrary! But I definitely like your attitude...size shouldn't matter, even if it's bigger than you think you should be wearing. No one is going to know but you! Happy SITS day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't afford the clothes, but Chicos sizing is F-U-N!! I love it when a regular sized 12 wears a "1" (or something like that). Like I said, I don't shop there; but the sizing does make you giddy! Nice post!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have different sizes, too. I hate it though when some places call something an XL that is a size 14. Do they hate their clients. I just remember, it's not the number and now I can add, it's the fit. Why shop there? I love a great cotton blouse and they have such a variety. Thanks for the post. Enjoy your SITS Day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stopping by from SITS. Great tips here - especially the suggestion to cut out a size tag if it really bothers you! I love that you have fun trying on clothes and aren't afraid to laugh when something just doesn't look as you imagined! You have such a fabulous attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  12. SITSter visitor! I completely agree about the size thing. If you like the way it fits and it makes you feel good, then that's all you need to know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is true, definitely. Gap is the worst when it comes to vanity sizing! Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of my favorite commercials of all time is the one where the ladies are jeans shopping and all the sizes are replaced with positive words like "sassy" "gorgeous" "flirty" and "beautiful".....put those kind of words on a pair of pants and Ill try it on no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so true! I wear such a range of sizes, it just doesn't matter to me either! If I look good and more importantly FEEL good in it, then who gives a crap what the tag says, right?

    And I love Jennifer's comment above me about that commercial. I haven't seen it but I think it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Sharing your thoughts. . . I look forward to them!