9/6/15

Mom's House Reno

My Mom lost her husband early this year and we moved her out of her large 4 bdrm, 3 bath pool house to a tiny 2 bedrm house in a 55+ community where they take care of the landscape and the community pool. First, it was hard to sell her old house, because this is not a sellers market and the offers were sparse. Once we closed on the sale it was a mad rush to get her stuff to the new place. This was hectic to say the least and we had a hard time with downsizing. The new to her house needed some improvement & personalization and this has been my summer project. I decorated her larger house so I figured this would be so easy, but it came with challenges.
Challenge #1. Make her beloved items fit into the smaller space. 
Challenge #2. Make the space look large with an easy flow from the family room area.
Challenge #3. The front door opens into the living room with a small hallway to the bedrooms.
I created a faux open floor plan by using her glass kitchen dining set in the small dining area, so the conversation can flow to the living room. My Mom is happy with the outcome. . .we do not have to walk on her rug to go to the kitchen or bedrooms. My Aunt & my Mom bought this house 20 years ago and I painted it a couple of years ago, so some touch-up is all that was needed. I did have to give away more furniture to family members and still looking for a new fan for the ceiling (cause this house is not well insulated and a Fan is a must).  But all my energy is now channelled to the kitchen reno and it should be completed soon.
Share & Follow with Bloglovin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Sharing your thoughts. . . I look forward to them!